Friday, December 11, 2009

This stunning novel begins on a winter night in 1964, when a blizzard forces Dr. David Henry to deliver his own twins. His son, born first, is perfectly healthy, but the doctor immediately recognizes that his daughter has Down Syndrome. For motives he tells himself are good, he makes a split-second decision that will haunt all their lives forever. He asks his nurse, Caroline, to taker the baby away to an institution. Instead, she disappears into another city to raise the child as her own.

Although this book took me a few chapters to get into, it gives a riveting story of separate lives that are intertwined by guilt, secrets, and love. I think the best thing about this book, for me, was how it ended. Obviously I won't tell you the end, but know that this book ends with a kind of "Happily Ever After" feeling. I found myself emotionally connected to the characters, and often empathizing with them. Side note, I know they made this book into a movie, although I haven't seen it, so I would recommend, as usual, reading the book before seeing the movie. You can find this book used or new on Amazon.com for less than $3, or at WalMart for about $10.

Book Recommended by: LuAnn

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment